Friday, November 9, 2007

Flex: The wave of the future!

Flex seems to be the wave of the future. In my minds eye I can see RIA taking over the Interweb over the next few years with Adobe leading the way. To be honest, I was a bit torn between following Microsofts lead and hedging all bets on Silverlight since it is new and, well lets face it, is provided by Microsoft. I think it is safe to say that MS is going to do everything they can to make sure that the silverlight plugin is available on as many PC's as possible. They own the desktop market and could easily get at least 80% of the PC's out there covered very quickly by simply adding it to any new software.

If I were Microsoft I would require users to install the Silverlight plug-in in order to validate Windows. If there is a problem with the user installing the plugin, they could offer another method of validation (the current method perhaps...). Most users would just click OK as long as the request is coming from Microsoft.

Sooo.... Keeping the above in mind, why would I choose Flex over Silverlight? Simple - The community. I intend on learning Actionscript 3, Flex and anything else I need to in order to make components, build RIA's, and just generally have fun in a great community.

Adobe is doing the right thing by releasing software to students and educational institutions and this will grow the community. Add to that the fact that it is going to be open-source (or is? not sure I am still a Flex Newbie remember!) and you can bet it will eventually outstrip any capabilities any company could provide on its on.

So I continue my journey of becoming a Flex Master... I think it will take a lot of work and time :)

No comments: